7 Tips To Prepare Your Home For An Alzheimer’s Patient
While preparing your home to offer in-home senior care to a loved one living with Alzheimer’s, make sure that you have this checklist close by:
- Place sensor pads on their wheelchairs and under their bedsheets so that you are alerted whenever they get up to go to the bathroom. Placing alarm systems near doors will also be extremely helpful so that if they feel confused and venture out, you will know.
- Installing locks on all windows should be on your priority list. Remove locking systems in their bathroom so that they do not lock themselves in by mistake. To prevent injury, fix childproof locks on kitchen cabinets and drawers so that they do not end up hurting themselves.
- Get rid of rugs that might cause them to slip and fall. As seniors living with Alzheimer’s also have age-related mobility issues, don’t forget to add grab bars and non-slip mats in the bathroom.
- Make sure that their room and corridors are free of clutter at all times to prevent falls. Keeping the home clean and taking care of household duties can be quite stressful, especially if you also have to juggle office work along with caregiving. Doing this day in and day out will inevitably lead to caregiver burnout. That is why it is recommended that you take time out for yourself and hire professionals offering the best light housekeeping services for seniors.
- If the patient is in no condition to drive, then make sure that you hide the car keys. The same goes for medicines, sharp objects such as knives, scissors as well as anything that has the potential to cause harm.
- Using stairs might not be an option for them as the disease advances. In such a scenario, install stairlifts so that you do not have to struggle with their wheelchair every single time. When they are in the later stages, hiring a 24/7 caregiver will help to take some of the load off you as well as ensure their comfort and safety.
- Fix a fire extinguisher in the kitchen as well as an automatic shut-off valve on the stove as a preventive measure to keep the family safe.
If you are looking for the best and affordable home care services for the elderly, get in touch with Abundant Life Assisted Services today. We offer a variety of in-home care services to seniors with Alzheimer’s disease, ranging from light housekeeping, help with meal preparation, incontinence care, to grocery shopping. For more information, call 678-319-0307.